HAPPY WEDNESDAY, THUNDERBIRDS!
Please join us THIS MORNING at 9am for a Principal + Parent Zoom Meeting.
Wednesday, August 19 at 9am
Principal Navarro and PTA will be hosting a Zoom meeting to inform parents of the THES Reopening Plan; what does a day look like, and hopefully answer some questions. This meeting will mostly be a presentation, but if time allows, we will try to answer questions. We will record this meeting to post online for parents that cannot attend today. There will also be another meeting on Wednesday, August 26th at 4pm.
Meeting ID: 812 0956 0345
PARENT CONNECTION ZOOM WITH PTA
Monday, August 24 at 8:30am
This will be a chance to talk with other parents and your PTA Board with questions, and just to get to know one another.
Monday, August 24th at 8:30am.
Meeting ID 846 7690 5582 passcode 948931
SCHOOL IS BACK IN SESSION
Tuesday we welcomed back teachers who are amped up and ready to go! They will be reaching out to you over the next two weeks with invitations to a special “Meet The Teacher” time.
Remote learning begins September 8th and currently, the district anticipates a phased-in, return to in-person learning beginning October 5th. All families will then have a choice between on-campus learning or continued remote learning. During the weeks of October 5th through October 30th, campuses will phase-in students who have chosen to return for on-campus teaching and learning. This plan could change based on the local health conditions at that time. However you choose for your children to learn, we are looking forward to welcoming students and families back to school!
Check out the detailed AISD Reopening Overview plan provided by Austin ISD.
If you have a computer or iPad at home for your student, you are not required to receive one from Austin ISD. However, there are many benefits to doing so. District devices will come prepared with the software your student needs for school. Teachers can remotely change settings on Austin ISD devices to make it easier for your students to access their learning materials. District devices can be updated and software can be maintained remotely. They also come with a warranty for free repairs through the district, as well as insurance for accidental damage. They come in a durable, protective case, appropriate for their particular grade. Austin ISD computers have Internet filtering in place to ensure your student’s safety online. If you need help accessing WiFi/Internet AISD can help.
iPADS ARE READY FOR PK-2ND GRADES TO PICK UP!
THES PK-2nd grade students can pick up their Austin ISD iPad this week and next at
Crockett High School, 5601 Manchaca Road
Thursday, August 20, from 2–7pm OR
Friday, August 21 & Monday, August 24, from 7:30am –1:30 pm
You must bring the student’s school ID number or the QR code you can print by logging in to portal.austinisd.org.
Stay tuned for future information about Chromebook distribution for grades 3rd-5th.
FOR FAQS AND MORE INFO visit https://www.austinisd.org/technology
THIS VIDEO shows you how to use the technology request form in the parent portal.
PK-2ND GRADE iPAD APPS
Some parents have asked what apps will potentially be loaded on the AISD offered iPads for PK – 2nd graders. Here is a list of potential apps that will be default Included on Student iPads.
- ABC Mouse
- Google Translate
- Brainpop Junior
- Live Canvas (BLEND)
- Class Chatter
- Pix Kid J
- amf Student (for iPad Seesaw Parent Epic management)
- Google Chrome
- Khan Academy Kids
- ToDo math
- Google Docs
- Our Story
- Zoom app
- Google Drive
- PBS Kids
- Google Slides
- PuppetPals HD
MEET YOUR TEACHER
August 18 – September 4
Teachers will reach out for a one-to-one Welcome Back introduction. The teacher will share communication platforms, invite families to our Welcome Back Parade, share expectations of Face-to-Face/Remote Learning, and conduct a quick survey.
Meet the Teacher Schedule
|Wednesday, Sept. 2nd|
|PreK3||9:30 am-10:30 am|
|PreK4||10:30 am-11:30 am|
|Kinder||11:30 am-12:30 pm|
|1st Grade||12:30 pm-1:30 pm|
|2nd Grade||1:30 pm-2:30 pm|
|Thursday, Sept 3rd|
|3rd Grade||9:30 am-10:30 am|
|4th Grade||10:30 am-11:30 am|
|5th Grade||11:30 am-12:30 am|
AISD MOBILE APP – DOWNLOAD NOW
Austin ISD is happy to announce the launch of its mobile app—a new way to stay connected. The app will allow all AISD students, staff, and families to receive notifications from the district and campuses for which they wish to subscribe. Other helpful tools include a COVID-19 self-screening for users to complete before coming into contact with others or before leaving home for work or school.
The app allows for quick access to:
see the calendar for the current school year and links to:
- Parent Cloud
- Parent Self Serve
- School Café,
- the School Directory, and
- the latest news.
Locate the free Austin ISD Mobile App in the digital store for your mobile device by searching for Austin ISD. For questions concerning the new app, call 512–414–9187.
GUIDANCE ON GATHERINGS
- No in-person assemblies or gatherings for students or staff until further notice
- Meet the teacher, back-to-school night, and parent conferences will be held remotely
- Performances will be held remotely
- PTA events will be held remotely
- Until further notice, schools are not allowed to plan large events such as all-school assemblies, social events, pep rallies, or fundraising events that bring groups of more than 10 people together.
- To ensure there are no large gatherings on school grounds, all school-wide events will be held virtually, including awards assemblies, fundraising events, schoolwide performances, and field days, until guidelines change.
FARM FRESH FOOD BOXES
AISD will continue to provide free, local Farm Fresh Boxes from The Common Market Texas through October 7 at specific AISD curbside meal sites. The boxes feature locally grown produce, such as peppers, melons, squash, carrots, and other seasonal staples. The Common Market Texas, a mission-driven distributor of sustainable, local farm foods prepare and delivers the produce boxes to AISD. The produce boxes will be available at each curbside meal site one time through October 7th until they run out each day. Distribution will take place from 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m as follows:
- Wednesday, August 19: Anderson High School, Burnet Middle School, Dobie Middle School, Guerrero Thompson Elementary, McBee Elementary, Padron Elementary
- Wednesday, August 26: Hart Elementary, Lamar Middle School, McCallum High School, Pickle Elementary, T.A. Brown Elementary
- Wednesday, September 2: Blanton Elementary, Campbell Elementary, Garcia Young Men’s Leadership Academy, LBJ Early College High School, Oak Springs Elementary, Pecan Springs Elementary
- Wednesday, September 9: Dawson Elementary, Galindo Elementary, Linder Elementary, Lively Middle School, St. Elmo Elementary, Travis Early College High School
- Wednesday, September 16: Allison Elementary, Blackshear Elementary, Eastside Memorial Early College High School, Govalle Elementary, Martin Middle School, Metz Elementary
- Wednesday, September 23: Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, Crockett Early College High School, Oak Hill Elementary, Odom Elementary, Patton Elementary, Sunset Valley Elementary
- Wednesday, September 30: Akins Early College High School, Casey Elementary, Covington Middle School, Kiker Elementary, Kocurek Elementary, Paredes Middle School
- Wednesday, October 7: Blazier Elementary, Langford Elementary, Perez Elementary, Pleasant Hill Elementary, Rodriguez Elementary, Uphaus Early Childhood Center, Widen Elementary
NEED HELP PAYING YOUR RENT?
During the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent economic disruptions, many are facing difficulties paying their rent and utilities. The City of Austin has created a resource specifically for those facing such problems. In mid-August 2020, the City of Austin and the Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) will launch a second the Relief of Emergency Needs for Tenants Assistance Program (RENT). The program is for income-eligible Austin renters that live within the city limits and are financially impacted by COVID-19. The program will provide direct rent relief of $12.9 million between August 2020 and January 2021.
For more information on the RENT program, please visit the City of Austin RENT Site www.austintexas.gov/RENT.
Use THIS LINK for applying for RENT Assistance Program that begins accepting applications on Wednesday, August 19th.