HAPPY WEDNESDAY, THUNDERBIRDS!
Please join us this afternoon for another Parent Principal Zoom Meeting!
Wednesday, August 26, 4:00pm
Principal Navarro and PTA will be hosting a second Zoom meeting to inform parents of the THES Reopening Plan — what does a day look like, and hopefully answer some questions. As we expect a large turnout, this meeting will mostly be a presentation. If time allows, we will try to answer questions. We will be recording and posting this meeting for those that cannot attend.
Meeting ID: 852 4117 3210
PTA PARENT CONNECTION ZOOM MEETING
August 31, 4pm
Travis Heights Elementary PTA Board members will be hosting another Zoom meeting for those that could not make the first one, and for any updates. You will have a chance to meet other THES parents and build a sense of community!
Meeting ID: 834 1260 5166
A LETTER FROM PRINCIPAL NAVARRO
Dear Thunderbird Families,
The past few weeks have been busy for our district. AISD Board of Trustees officially welcomed Dr. Stephanie Elizalde to Austin ISD as the new Superintendent and Austin ISD released a comprehensive overview of the reopening plans. I encourage you to review the document that addresses specific areas and I’ve highlighted some in the sections below.
With so much information coming out, here is an outline of some basic need-to-know information about the start of school:
- The first day of school is now Sept. 8.
- The first four weeks, from Sept. 8 to Oct. 5, will be remote. If your student needs access to technology, please contact us at 512-414-4495 as soon as possible.
- The next four weeks, from Oct. 5 to Oct. 30, will be a phase-in period. Families will choose if they prefer on-campus or virtual learning for this period and families who prefer on-campus learning will be phased in. We will continue to base our campus and district operations on the advice of health authorities. It is important to note that even students who choose on-campus instruction may have some days where they are still doing remote learning during this period.
- Families will choose if they prefer on-campus or remote instruction within two weeks of returning to campuses Oct. 5 via a form that will be sent to your email.
- While we will send out homeroom classroom assignments, it is important to note that based on family choices about on-campus or remote instruction there will be some shifting classroom placements and likely teacher sharing of students.
- Austin ISD families will be able to choose to go back to remote learning based on their individual comfort level.
Because the beginning of the year has been pushed back until September 8th, we’re moving the dates for the beginning of the year. Events are in the Upcoming Dates section below. Please mark your calendars with the new dates, especially the last student 19-20 belongings’ pick up (again) the week of September 14 – 18. Any student materials left after this date are subject to disposal. We simply do not have the space to store the amount of “stuff” that remains.
This past week, we reviewed and collaborated with teachers on their daily schedules. We will soon share with you the DRAFT schedules that we’re creating for remote learning.
Please continue to check for communication from AISD (austinisd.org/covid) and from me as we get closer to the beginning of the year. Stay safe and healthy, everyone!
We are excited to welcome our Thunderbirds back to school!
MEET YOUR TEACHER
Your teachers have been reaching out to welcome you back for the new school year! If they were not able to get in touch with your family by phone they will be sending emails out this week. Please make sure your information is updated in the parent portal and check your email. If you have not heard from your teacher by August 31st, please call the front office to update your contact information and we will make sure your child’s classroom teacher contacts you shortly thereafter.
Your teacher will be hosting a class Zoom meeting on the dates below so all of the kids can say hello to each other and learn about the expectations of distance / virtual learning. Please mark your calendars according to the schedule below. Be on the lookout for log on instructions from your 2020/21 teacher.
|Wednesday, Sept. 2nd|
|PreK3||9:30 am-10:30 am|
|PreK4||10:30 am-11:30 am|
|Kinder||11:30 am-12:30 pm|
|1st Grade||12:30 pm-1:30 pm|
|2nd Grade||1:30 pm-2:30 pm|
|Thursday, Sept 3rd|
|3rd Grade||9:30 am-10:30 am|
|4th Grade||10:30 am-11:30 am|
|5th Grade||11:30 am-12:30 pm|
WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL PARADE
Friday, September 4, beginning at 12:30pm
It’s time to meet your teacher and cool down from a hot summer with our ice cream social! This year will be different as the teachers are bringing the fun to you! Practice safe social distancing as our Travis Heights Elementary parade of educators and parents will be driving the THES party train through our neighborhood to bring in the new (school) year. Choo choo! Dress up with school colors and share the pride with all your favorite teachers! Music, colors, and ice pops courtesy of the PTA will be passed out to all who line the streets. Look for a map of the route in next Wednesday’s e-folder!
The curbside distribution for PreK3-2nd grade iPads has concluded, but you can still get the technology you need.
Chromebooks for grades 3rd-12th will be available curbside at Crockett and the Performing Arts Center. No appointment needed. The curbside locations will be open Monday-Friday from 9:30 am until 3:30 pm. Additional locations will be added later in August. You must bring the student’s school ID number or the QR code you can print by logging in to portal.austinisd.org.
If you have a device that has been damaged or needs physical repairs you may go to either of these curbside locations and drop off for repair. Please bring your student ID number, name, and description of the problem.
These curbside locations are following safe practices. Check daily wait times at each location at bit.ly/aisdcomputerwait
Login, connectivity, or other software/ functionality type issues.
If you have a problem logging in or tiles that should be available are not within the portal you should contact the parent support desk at 512.414.9187 for help.
iPad distribution will resume at the Travis Heights campus once we receive inventory. More details to follow as we have them! Always feel free to reach out to your child’s teacher or the office with further questions.
Additional up-to-date District Information can be found HERE.
ESSENTIAL SCHOOL SUPPLIES & PAPER PACKETS
Distribution – on need basis
Please communicate with your child’s teacher about your individual student’s needs. Supplies will be distributed during the week of September 2nd – 4th. Please refer to the schedule and Class DoJo communication for the day and time for material pickup.
School Supplies to include:
- crayons, pencils, glue, scissors, 2 folders, 2 notebooks
- Teacher/Grade level supplemental aids e.g. 100’s chart
- Consumables provided to compliment paper packets
- Paper Packets created by Austin Independent School District
Essential Supplies Pickup Schedule
|Thursday, Sept 3rd|
|5th Grade||1:00 pm-2:00 pm|
|4th Grade||2:00 pm-3:00 pm|
|3rd Grade||3:00 pm-4:00 pm|
|Friday, Sept 4th|
|2nd Grade||8:00 am-9:00 am|
|1st Grade||9:00 am-10:00 am|
|Kinder||10:00 am-11:00 am|
|PK 3 & PK4||11:00 am – 12:00 pm|
DOI DAYS (NO SCHOOL) MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
As part of AISD’s District of Innovation status, the Travis Vertical Team (which includes Travis Heights) has added three in-service days.These are student holidays in addition to those on the AISD calendar: January 5, February 12, and March 12. Please note, other schools may have different dates than Travis Heights. Teachers Professional Development Days are as follows: October 12, February 15, and April 2.
AISD MOBILE APP – DOWNLOAD NOW
Austin ISD is happy to announce the launch of its mobile app—a new way to stay connected. The app will allow all AISD students, staff, and families to receive notifications from the district and campuses for which they wish to subscribe. Other helpful tools include a COVID-19 self-screening for users to complete before coming into contact with others or before leaving home for work or school.
The app allows for quick access to:
see the calendar for the current school year and links to:
- Parent Cloud
- Parent Self Serve
- School Café,
- the School Directory, and
- the latest news.
Locate the free Austin ISD Mobile App in the digital store for your mobile device by searching for Austin ISD. For questions concerning the new app, call 512–414–9187.
AISD wants to make sure that our community is safe and healthy! That is why AISD is offering Telemedicine services for our students and their families. Telemedicine will be available in campus health rooms this school year through our partnership with Virtual Care for Families. Services include rapid COVID-19 tests, as well as a test for strep throat and the flu. While students will not be back on campus until at least September, families should know about the service so they can choose to opt-in while enrolling if interested.
If your student has been opted in and is in need of care, they can quickly be seen by a pediatrician through a secure, two-way video conference call. Doctors are able to diagnose patients virtually as well as send a prescription to a pharmacy of the family’s choosing, when appropriate. It is like a visit to the doctor’s office without leaving school. As a reminder, if your child is feeling unwell before school, please keep them home.
Parents wishing to use this service must consent through the online registration process for the 2020-21 school year through my.austinisd.org.
For more information on AISD and Telemedicine please visit https://www.austinisd.org/student-health/telehealth
FARM FRESH FOOD BOXES
AISD will continue to provide free, local Farm Fresh Boxes from The Common Market Texas through October 7 at specific AISD curbside meal sites. The boxes feature locally grown produce, such as peppers, melons, squash, carrots, and other seasonal staples. The Common Market Texas, a mission-driven distributor of sustainable, local farm foods prepare and delivers the produce boxes to AISD. The produce boxes will be available at each curbside meal site one time through October 7th until they run out each day. The distribution will take place from 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m as follows. More info HERE!
- Wednesday, August 19: Anderson High School, Burnet Middle School, Dobie Middle School, Guerrero Thompson Elementary, McBee Elementary, Padron Elementary
- Wednesday, August 26: Hart Elementary, Lamar Middle School, McCallum High School, Pickle Elementary, T.A. Brown Elementary
- Wednesday, September 2: Blanton Elementary, Campbell Elementary, Garcia Young Men’s Leadership Academy, LBJ Early College High School, Oak Springs Elementary, Pecan Springs Elementary
- Wednesday, September 9: Dawson Elementary, Galindo Elementary, Linder Elementary, Lively Middle School, St. Elmo Elementary, Travis Early College High School
- Wednesday, September 16: Allison Elementary, Blackshear Elementary, Eastside Memorial Early College High School, Govalle Elementary, Martin Middle School, Metz Elementary
- Wednesday, September 23: Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, Crockett Early College High School, Oak Hill Elementary, Odom Elementary, Patton Elementary, Sunset Valley Elementary
- Wednesday, September 30: Akins Early College High School, Casey Elementary, Covington Middle School, Kiker Elementary, Kocurek Elementary, Paredes Middle School
- Wednesday, October 7: Blazier Elementary, Langford Elementary, Perez Elementary, Pleasant Hill Elementary, Rodriguez Elementary, Uphaus Early Childhood Center, Widen Elementary
NEED HELP PAYING YOUR RENT?
During the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent economic disruptions, many are facing difficulties paying their rent and utilities. The City of Austin has created a resource specifically for those facing such problems. In mid-August 2020, the City of Austin and the Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) will launch a second the Relief of Emergency Needs for Tenants Assistance Program (RENT). The program is for income-eligible Austin renters that live within the city limits and are financially impacted by COVID-19. The program will provide direct rent relief of $12.9 million between August 2020 and January 2021.
For more information on the RENT program, please visit the City of Austin RENT Site www.austintexas.gov/RENT.
Use THIS LINK for applying for RENT Assistance Program that begins accepting applications on Wednesday, August 19th.
GUIDANCE ON GATHERINGS
- No in-person assemblies or gatherings for students or staff until further notice
- Meet the teacher, back-to-school night, and parent conferences will be held remotely
- Performances will be held remotely
- PTA events will be held remotely
- Until further notice, schools are not allowed to plan large events such as all-school assemblies, social events, pep rallies, or fundraising events that bring groups of more than 10 people together.
- To ensure there are no large gatherings on school grounds, all school-wide events will be held virtually, including awards assemblies, fundraising events, schoolwide performances, and field days, until guidelines change.
Time: 12:00 am-11:59 pm
Coffee Chat with Principal Navarro
Time: 8:00 am-9:00 am
PTA Exec Board Meeting
Time: 3:30 pm-4:30 pm
Location: THES Library
Attendees: PTA Board, Committee Chairs, School Administration and Teacher Representatives
Upper Grade Assembly
Time: 8:00 am-8:30 am
Used Book Fair
Time: 12:00 am-11:59 pm
Do you have information or an event to submit to THES’s Wednesday eFolder? Please visit our Folder FAQ page for submission requirements and guidelines.
To subscribe to Wednesday eFolders and have the eFolder delivered to your inbox, please use the subscribe form in the footer of the website.