Can you see it? That light? You know, the one at the end of the tunnel. I don’t know about you but it’s teasing me. The countdown in on… 3 (yes 3!) more days of school – once today is over. And today is an exciting day too.
It’s our annual Young Artist’s Workshop Day!
Young Artists’ Workshop (YAW) is a unique day when our Thunderbirds have a morning full of inspiring workshops involving the creative arts. These workshops will be led by community artists, who have graciously volunteered to share their skills with our students. Lucky us!
While the upper level students will be taking part in the workshops, the PreK through 2nd graders will get their own special morning with an exciting concert performed by local musician, Neal Kassanoff of the Groundwork Music Project (http://www.groundworkmusic.org/site/). These students will then continue the fun by returning to their classrooms to do art projects specifically created for this special day by Ms. Webb.
A GIANT appreciation pump for the talented 2016 YAW participants:
- Ben Appl current THES parent and returning artist. He works as a sculptor and has been involved in Public Art works. He also teaches at ACC & The Contemporary.
- Leslie Bonnell Proprietor and Sewing Guru of Stitch Lab, a local & very popular sewing business with classes for all ages…even kids! http://www.stitchlab.biz
- Kate Catterall returning artist, current Thunderbird parent & Design Professor at UT Austin
- Valentina Dorsa a returning artist and future Thunderbird parent of a Kinder student next year! www.valentinadorsa.com
- Melissa Knight another returning artist who works in fabric collage & batik. She is also a parent of a six year-old. www.batikbydesign.com
- WH & Jon Dee Graham local musicians who are also returning artists. They are a father and son team, who also have separate musical careers. They can often be seen playing at The Continental Club.
- Sloane & Felix Lenz new for this year. They are a young sibling duo have been involved with film making as soon as they could hold cameras. Their films have be screened at several festivals including SXSW.
- Patryce King a returning artist and incredible pianist. She has performed for audiences all around the world!
- Alex Ballentine & Ann Wade new to YAW this year, are both teachers at Eastside School of Music—where several of our THES students study music. Alex (also founder of Eastside School of Music) teaches guitar & Ann teaches voice. https://eastsidemusic.com/
- Jordan Boessling THES neighbor & returning artist. He is a visual artist.
- Hyon-Hee Georg Quilter, needleworker, and 3rd grade teacher.
Be sure to ask your kiddos about what they did with the artists today.
You are coming back next year, right?
I know it’s on your list but maybe it’s down in the middle somewhere but it’s time to move it up to the number one spot. What is it? Registration for next year. It is crucial for staffing and funding that we have all our students registered as soon as possible. Also if you don’t register before the start of school, your student won’t be assigned a teacher. If you need access to a computer or help through the process (it’s definitely not as easy as it could be) computers are available at the school and Ms. Gio in the office is an expert in the process and available to help anyone who needs it.
The Days are Getting Longer
And I’m not just talking about the long summer days ahead, I’m also referring to our new school schedule for next year. You remember hearing about House Bill 2610 that measures the school days in minutes rather than days. Well it goes into effect for the 2016/2017 school year and it means we must extend our day by 12 mintues. You may also remember the survey asking our community how we wanted to allocate those minutes. The majority of you chose to extend the end of our day. Currently our day ends at 2:45. Next year it will end at 2:57p.m.
End of the Year Awards Schedule
Come see these amazing kiddos get recognized for all their incredible learning and growing they have done this year!
May 26, 2016
Kinder Awards: 8:00 am-9:00 am
1st Grade Awards: 9:00 am-10:00 am
2nd Grade Awards: 10:00 am-11:00 am
May 31, 2016
4th Grade Awards: 8:00 am-9:00 am
June 1, 2016
5th Grade Awards and Continuation
No School on Friday OR Monday!
Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!
Summer Chicken Crew
We are working on creating a team of volunteers to help care for the THES chickens over the summer. Training will be provided and we are looking for families to take care of the chickens for a week at a time. This will involve coming to the school daily to feed/water, clean the coop and let them roam free for a bit. If you are interested in helping out, please email volunteers@ travisheightselementary.com.
Help Save Fall Carnival
A THES tradition since the 1950s, Fall Carnival is a night filled with games, food, and fun, all while raising money to support our school! Help us keep this awesome tradition alive by volunteering as Carnival Coordinator or Co-Coordinator. Duties include supervising teams of volunteers to organize games/booths, provide publicity, recruit volunteers and arrange for logistics at the event. These teams all need volunteers as well. We’d hate to see this beloved tradition disappear due to lack of leadership- Please Volunteer!
To see other volunteer needs for next year, please check out our volunteers page: https://www.travisheightselementary.com/get-involved/
This week’s folder items:
PTA Exec Board Meeting
Time: 3:30 pm-5:00 pm
Location: THES Library
Per PTA bylaws, only PTA Executive Board Members may attend.
Do you have information or an event to submit to THES’s Wednesday Folder? Please visit our Folder FAQ page for submission requirements and guidelines.
To subscribe to Wednesday eFolders and have the eFolder delivered to your inbox, please use the subscribe form in the footer of the website.
While our goal is to move most communications to digital methods some documents need to be delivered in hard copies so please continue to check your paper Wednesday Folder every week, sign and return it on Thursday.