The Austin Independent School District provides a full-day prekindergarten program for all children who turn four on or before September 1st of the current school year. Students must also qualify by being either:
- Limited-English proficient (LEP); or
- Educationally disadvantaged; or
- Child of active military parent; or
- Homeless; or
- A child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
Registration for prekindergarten begins in April and again in August. Parents should apply at their neighborhood school. The following documents must be brought to registration:
- Current paycheck stub
- Proof of residence, such as a gas or electric bill
- Official birth certificate or equivalent
- Up-to-date immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID
REGISTER YOUR CHILD
(Your child must be 4 as of September 1st.)
Enroll on your campus.
If you are unsure which school your child will attend, call the Office of Student Services 414-1726
or view school assignments online.
Items you will need for registration:
- Immunization Record
- Social Security Card (for your child)
- Birth Certificate (State Issued)
- Photo Copy of Parent ID
- Proof of Residence (rental contract or utility bill with valid address)
- Proof of Income (current check stub)
- When your child will meet his/her teacher
- Bus Schedules
- Important Contact Numbers
If you register your child after school begins, you will need to bring the same documents and any paperwork from your previous school.