Travis Heights Elementary piloted Blended Learning in 2013 by utilizing 1:1 Chromebooks and a 3 point rotational model to improve math scores. This model raised scores by more than 60% across the campus. Building on that success, THES has continued to develop Blended Learning practices for reading, SPED, and by incorporating Project Based Learning with daily use technologies (equipment and resources) into lessons in a way that allows students to collaborate, communicate, and solve problems by:
- Discovering new ideas and methods to learn (video, research)
- Expanding understanding using critical thinking (online collaboration)
- Interacting with knowledges (polls, activities, apps)
- Sharing their learning (blogging, digital presentations, showcases)
- Assessing their abilities (quiz, journaling, portfolio)
These five components of Blended Learning ensure that our students are prepared to use appropriately utilize technology as a tool for improving the world and themselves.
The Media & Technology program at Travis Heights Elementary is unique. We offer opportunities for cyber safety & citizenship, audio and video production, coding, podcasting, photo journalism, and leadership training. Many of these components are now embedded in the instruction students receive in the classroom or through the district’s Learning Management System, BLEND.
Students can access the school technology tools by logging into the AISD student portal.